Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Still thanking the Lord for the blessing of not having to fill out any more stupid job applications, Penny arrived at VistaPrint three minutes early, despite the long decision making process to pick out what she should wear. In the end she went with black slacks and a yellow button up blouse that she hoped looked professional, paired with her favorite strappy sandals and a generous amount of makeup and bling, because you never know when a talent scout might need copies made and a would-be actress has got to be prepared.

The interview was quick and painless, focusing mainly on her personality rather than her scant job experience. “Well you seem perfect to me. I think I’d hire you even if I wasn’t so desperate,” said Dot, shaking Penny’s hand. “What brings you to New York, anyway? I forgot to ask.”

“I’m an actress,” said Penny boldly. Then, with a sheepish grin, “well, I’m going to be anyway. It probably sounds silly, but I came here to do the starving artist bit while building up my acting credentials. Except, I hope not the starving part.”

Dot laughed. “I wish I could offer you more than $18.50 an hour. I know it’s not much.”
“No, no, it’s great!” said Penny, reminding herself that while it sounded like a fortune to a small town girl, that was barely enough to pay the rent and still buy Ramen in the city. “When do I start?”

“How about now? I can show you around the place and… hold on—“ Dot paused to answer a phone that was ringing loudly. “Okay, sure, yes we do business cards…no, I don’t think we have ever done a business card for a poodle…” Dot scribbled notes on a pad and continued talking to the customer. Penny looked around the small shop, noting the tidy stacks of paper and the humming copy machines and computers. Glamorous it was not, but it was a place to start. She smiled. Thank you, Lord, for providing for me. I really am glad to have this job…Now how about an acting gig to go with it?

***
Penny spent the rest of the day at the shop, learning all there was to know about copying, collating, and customer service. As she walked around the block back to her apartment building, then up the 10 flights of stairs, she winced with each step. Note to self: tomorrow, wear more comfortable shoes. When she stepped into the minuscule apartment, she quickly kicked off the impractical sandals.
A dinner of macaroni and a soak in the tub revived her spirits. Wrapped snugly in her favorite sweats, she propped herself up on a few pillows on her futon mattress on the floor--her one piece of furniture. She pulled out her laptop and began scanning through casting calls, looking for a show that would meet her requirements of a) being a paying job, and b) being a show that wouldn't compromise her moral standards. Jesus himself would have to be able to sit in the front row and enjoy the production.
The corner of her mouth drooped as she read through the listings. Nothing that met with her criteria. Sighing, she closed the computer. God, I know you put this desire on my heart. Please show me how I can use the gifts you've given me. And help me to have patience while I wait for your timing.

No comments: