Saturday, October 18, 2008

Encounters

“Hi, Penny. Nice to know you,” he said, shaking her bleach-scented hand. “I’m Raoul.” He glanced around her apartment. “Hm, nice place you’ve got here. Are you new to the city?”

Penny blushed. “Yes, I just moved here.”

“From Mississippi.”

She furrowed her brow. “Yes. How did you know? Is my accent that noticeable?” She’d been working on masking her southern drawl, but it must have been more prevalent when she was singing to herself.

He smiled and cocked his head to the side. “Nope. It was the return address on this package that says ‘From Mom’.”

“Oh, right.” She smiled back and took the package from him. “Thank you.”

“You're welcome.”

She realized with a jolt that she had no cash and not even a cold drink to offer the deliveryman. “I’m sorry, I don’t have any money to tip you,” she said, grimacing. “As you might have guessed, I’ve spent it all on this luxurious walk-up.” She gestured to the dingy walls and peeling linoleum.

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” he said, shaking his head. “I’d rather have your number, anyway.”

She was taken aback by his boldness. I guess that’s something about New Yorkers I’ll have to get used to, she thought, looking at the floor and blushing further. “Um, well, I don’t have a phone line connected yet.” It wasn’t exactly a lie. She didn’t have a landline, but then she didn’t intend to get one, either.

At that moment, her cell phone started ringing from the next room. Raoul laughed out loud, a warm and cheerful sound. “I see. Well, have a good day, Penny. Maybe I’ll see you around.”
He turned and left, closing the door behind him.

Penny threw back her head and let out an exasperated groan, stomping back to her room to grab the phone from her purse. She looked at the display screen and saw a number she didn’t recognize. A call from one of the agents she’d met with, perhaps? Taking a deep breath, she flipped open the phone. “Hello?” she said sweetly, hoping she didn’t sound too flustered, or too southern.

No comments: